Creative Laboratories Edinburgh
Summary: Construction of a new arts facility for Edinburgh Sculpture Workshop.
Description of Works: Construction of a new 1200m2 arts facility comprising sculpture bays, project spaces, café with roof terrace and courtyard and featuring a 23m high triangular tower.
- A concrete framed building constructed of cast insitu concrete of which a sizable proportion is visual grade concrete
- mechanical and electrical installations (a central control building management system, underfloor heating, lighting sensors, data installations)
- associated external works and drainage.
Added Value: The project required a 55m section of embankment to be retained which in turn supported the public footpath and road above; this was achieved by the use of CFA piles. The piles were entirely contractor design and required approval by the Roads Authority prior to any works commencing. During the tender process meetings were held with our Piling Sub Contractor and the Roads Department. By being this advanced during the tender process it significantly reduced the time frame for the approval of the piling design.
- Shortlisted for an RIAS Award 2015 where it is described as being “restrained and appropriately sculptural, this important new facility greatly enhances both the local area and Edinburgh’s cultural attraction”.
- Student placement provided for Glasgow Caledonian University
- Registered with Considerate Constructors Scheme and awarded Certificates of Performance Beyond Compliance.
- Excavated material was re-used for the sub base to the car park and the piling mat for the building, diverting the waste from landfill.